Woolwich Township was first incorporated on March 17, 1767 and takes its name from an English town on the Thames River famous for its naval school. The town was part of the Civil Organization of West Jersey, established in 1676 and was originally within Greenwich Township, one of the four incorporated jurisdictions in what is now Gloucester County. When Woolwich Township was first formed from Greenwich Township in 1750, before incorporation, it encompassed an area of 40,000 aces and was known as South Greenwich. In the process of time, English settlement began in the region, Swedish place names began to be replaced with English names, including that of “Woolwich.” Early settlers raised grain, fruit, and vegetables, and tended stock. Additionally, some of the New Jersey’ richest farmland is located within Woolwich Township and farming has always been a principal industry of the area. Finally, Woolwich is the fastest growing community in New Jersey as well as North-eastern United States. For example, from 2000 to 2003, the population increased 82 percent from 3,032 to 5,525 and still growing.
Lt. Sheldon Lewis
Agency’s Basic Requirements and Application Process
- All persons must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of New Jersey
- Able to read, write, and speak the English Language well and intelligently
- Possess a valid New Jersey drivers license
- Be of good moral character and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude
- Sound in body and of good health sufficient to satisfy the Board of Trustees of the Police and Firearm’s Retirement System of New Jersey as their eligibility for membership in the retirement system